Mamie Doud Eisenhower Birthplace
We love tour groups!
The Boone County Historical Society enjoys hosting group tours of all sorts. From scout troops to tour buses and antique car clubs, we can accommodate a variety of groups.
Currently, all of our museums are closed due to the Covid-19 pandemic. When we reopen, tours should be arranged well in advance. Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 515-432-1907 and leave a message. Since the Center is not staffed regularly, emailed questions get answered more quickly.
Mamie Geneva Doud was born November 14, 1896 at 718 Carroll Street in Boone, the second of four daughters born to Elivera Mathilde Carlson and John Sheldon Doud. She grew up to become the wife of the 34th President of the United States, Dwight David Eisenhower.
While Mamie was still an infant, the Douds moved from Boone to Cedar Rapids. In 1905, after making a fortune in the meat packing industry, John Doud moved his family to Colorado, where they eventually settled in Denver. However, Mamie never lost contact with her mother’s Boone family, the Carlsons. Throughout the 1940s to the 1960s, the Eisenhowers regularly visited Boone. After Ike’s death in 1969, Mamie continued to return to Boone, making her last trip in 1977, two years before her death.
Over the years, the Birthplace was inhabited by many families, at one time housing three individual apartments. By 1970 it was in danger of being demolished, so over the next few years, concerned citizens raised sufficient funds to purchase the house from its owner, the First Baptist Church. In 1975 Mamie’s Birthplace was moved across the street to the west. Following five years of restoration, the Mamie Doud Eisenhower Birthplace opened on June 22, 1980.
The restored house contains many Eisenhower and Carlson family heirlooms. A detached summer kitchen and carriage house also are located on the property. The carriage house, erected in 1982, contains the Chrysler Windsor Sedan given to the Carlsons by the Eisenhowers in 1948, and Mamie’s 1962 Plymouth Valiant. A commemorative marker was placed at the Birthplace by the DeShon Chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution in 1954.